dmills@fastmail.fm
I have a doctorate in physics from Stanford University, which includes the equivalent of a Master's degree in mathematics. I also have a Master's degree in clinical psychology and was a practicing marriage, family and child therapist for over ten years. For two decades, I was a physics professor at the University of Washington Medical School in Seattle.
For the past four years, I have been tutoring math and physics in San Diego county. I have had extensive experience tutoring math at all levels from basic arithmetic to college calculus, at grade school, high school and college levels, as well as high school physics and first-year college physics.
My approach is flexible and always based on the needs of the individual student. My focus is to start where the student is and to offer help in the way that the student feels is immediately useful to them. I have experience working with students over the range of abilities, from AP/honors to those with math learning difficulties and disabilities (see pages in the directory to the right).
I usually meet students in their home, where students can be the most comfortable and all materials are available. We can, of course, meet instead at a local library or coffee shop if desired.
Fees: are $45 per one-hour session.
Travel: There is no additional charge for travel to locations in San Diego county from Encinatas to San Diego city north of Chula Vista, or areas east to the El Cahon area.
For further information, please contact me by the email or telephone number listed at top. You may also visit www.MathLearningDifficulties.com for additional information on the specific reasons that some people find learning math particularly difficult, how particular difficulties are diagnosed and the specific approaches to assist people with them.
